Styling Knee High Boots: The Dos and the Don’ts
Knee high boots have been a firm winter favourite for years, but women everywhere also wear them year-round with a range of outfits.
Keen to purchase a pair of knee high boots but not sure how to style them? We’ll let you in on a few secrets.
Skinny jeans are a go-to
The tight style of skinny jeans makes them perfect for wearing under knee high boots. Suede, patent, riding, heeled or slouchy boots can all be worn with jeans. Match with a plain tee or blouse, with a jacket or cardigan over the top.
Heeled boots are a great choice for social occasions, and you can opt for snakeskin or a bright colour if you want to stand out.
One thing to keep in mind here is to not wear tops that go past your hips. This can give off the illusion of your body being disproportioned.
Styling knee high boots with skirts and dresses
Knee high boots can be styled with short, knee length or even midi skirts and dresses. This gives your outfit a mix of feminine and modern touches and the boots help take your favourite clothing pieces through every season. During the colder months you can wear a pair of tights or leggings under your boots.
Floral skirts look fantastic paired with knee high boots, a basic tee and leather jacket.
How not to wear knee high boots?
While there are many ways to wear high boots, there are some outfits that you should opt for another type of footwear instead.
1. Maxi skirts. Styling knee high boots with shorter skirts often works well, but matching with a maxi skirt is a fashion don’t. Not only is it pointless to have those gorgeous boots covered up, but it can look a bit strange with the contrasting feminine flow of the skirt.
2. Straight leg jeans or pants. Knee high boots fit well over skinny jeans, but not so much over jeans or pants that don’t hug your skin. You can try to wear your pants over your boots, but this often means seeing the line of the top of your boots through the material.
Tips for buying knee high boots
While you’re shopping for a new pair of boots, keep these tips in mind:
- If you’re on the shorter side, opt for boots with a heel to help make your legs look longer.
- Look for boots that have a wider shaft if you have larger calves to avoid the top pinching into your legs.
- Boots should be tight fitting, unless you are specifically wanting slouchy boots.
- If you’re not sure on what colour to choose, black or tan are the most versatile.
At Famous Footwear we stand by our affordable range of footwear and have a simple returns policy. If you’re ready to purchase a new pair of knee high boots, you can get them delivered for free anywhere in Australia if you spend over $69.